Saturday 15 December 2012

The Tattooed Poet Project


In the days of flat sharing with Pansy Smilso, I used to have this poster up on the kitchen wall:


I loved it then and still do: it has more resonance now I'm older and have learned that the measure of value is far, far wider than simply monetary.

Despite some people seeing me as being 'square' or totally uncool, in my youth, I flirted a bit with the avante garde, certainly in terms of my appearance.  I wore hats before they were cool; moved on to gloves (still have a bit of a love affair with them); and teamed my work issue uniform skirt and jacket with non-regulation shirts and some of the most way-out shoes it was practical to wear in a catering environment.  It was my little bit of rebellion; a way of asserting some independence by refusing to be confined in a convenient box; a way of refusing to be labelled.  Although, of course, I was self-labelling, but anyway ...

As part of that I kind of wanted a tattoo - used to tease my then boss, who was so uptight and conservative, that I was going to get one just to see her reaction because I knew, if she'd believe it of any of her team, she'd believe it of me.  That was back in the day when tatts just weren't fashionable: you'd have to find some back-street or sea-front dive to get them done in; designs were of the traditional 'hearts, skulls and roses' variety; and only women who were real scrubbers really had a tattoo (although plenty had ankle chains - including the boss!).  Then they got fashionable and I went right off the idea: I didn't want to be one of the tattooed masses!  Now, however, I've changed my mind again.  Whether that's a mid-life crisis, or the realisation that some (although by no means all) can be really beautiful works of art.  The trouble, again, has been in deciding what design I want.  I think I've made my mind up and it's something I've designed and which has some personal significance (I really - and pardon the pun - don't see the point otherwise), but I came across this whilst searching the net for possible inspiration:



I'd love it!  But where would I put it?  I'm not having a tatt down the inside of my arm so across my shoulders seems to be the only realistic option, but I know I'm not ready to have something quite so big (and I may never be) but, oh how I wish I could work out a way to incorporate this with the design I've already chosen.

Then again, it's a mighty big statement to have to live up to ...


(By the way, there is actually a Tattooed Poets Project https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Tattooed-Poets-Project/154955387862114?ref=stream)

No comments:

Post a Comment